Local Lab Safety Committees
Lab Safety Advisors
Each research lab is assigned a Lab Safety Advisor (LSA).
LSA responsibilities include:
- Advising Lab Safety Officers (LSO) to ensure that lab staff work safely in research and teaching labs.
- Facilitating safety committee meetings with LSOs to discuss safety concerns, recent incidents, and best practices.
- Helping with safety-related issues.
Lab Safety Officers
Principal Investigators (PI) appoint LSOs.
As an LSO, you are a part of your lab's quality team. You improve lab safety culture and prevent incidents and injuries through education, training, and coaching.
As an LSO, you must:
- Attend all lab safety committee meetings, or delegate a representative if you are unavailable.
- Be a liaison between the safety committee and your lab.
New LSO Orientation
New LSOs should review these resources and contact their LSA for orientation and an invitation to the next lab safety committee.
Contact your LSA for a printable orientation packet.
- Chemical Hygiene Plan
- EH&S LSAs and safety officers
- Employee Accident Reporting Online Instructions
- Hazard Communication Container Labeling Guide
- Lab Chemical Storage Guide
- Lab Ergonomics Guide
- Lab Labels & Stickers
- Lab Safety Guidelines
- Lab Safety Orientation Checklist
- Safety Data Sheets (SDS)
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) Templates
|Peer Inspection (if applicable)||Annually|
|EH&S Biosafety Inspection (COMS-registered labs)||Annually (may coincide with EH&S inspection)|
|Laser Equipment Certification||Every two years|
|Fume Hood/Biosafety Cabinet Certification||Annually|
|Eye Wash Station Inspection||Weekly|
|Emergency Shower Inspection||Annually|
Assessment & Inspection Management System
Conduct lab personal protective equipment (PPE) assessments annually or when lab work changes.
Login to AIMS to learn about conducting lab PPE assessments and managing corrective actions.
LabPoint Door Placards & Inventory
Update door placards annually or when lab work or contact information changes.
- Biological Sharps Disposal
- Chemical Waste Labeling Tool
- Chemical Waste Pickup/Services Online Request
- Disposal Restricted Waste (DRW) Guidance
- Lab Common Items Disposal Guide
- Non-Biological Sharps Disposal
Satellite Accumulation Areas (SAA)
|SAA Inspection Type||Frequency|
|Hazardous Waste Safety Officer SAA Inspection||Weekly|
|Hazardous Waste EH&S Quarterly SAA Inspection||Quarterly|
|Hazardous Waste EH&S 98% SAA Inspection||Monthly|
Refresh training annually or when the lab work changes.
|Training Requirement||Course||Refresher Course/Frequency||Refresher Frequency|
|Chemicals||Lab Safety (LAB100)||LAB200||Annually|
|Biological Materials||Biosafety (LAB103)||LAB203||Annually|
|Radioactive Materials||Radiation (RPO101)||RPO201||Every two years|
|Lasers/New Laser Instruments||Laser Safety (RPO102/RP0104-1)||RPO202||Every two years|
Update lab rosters when a new researcher arrives or when a researcher leaves the lab.